Many illegitimate software consume higher CPU usage. This includes spyware and viruses that typically bog down your computer performance. There can be other reasons, such as, insufficient memory, Drive Indexing and other services that continuously track file change activity, a heavyweight Antivirus program that consumes system resources during real-time protection feature. In this article we’ll go through each of these factor in details.
One-Click Troubleshooter (Highly Recommended)
You’re just 2 steps away from fixing this problem…
Estimated download time: 10-15 Seconds
Alternative manual troubleshooting steps are given below:
Using Resource Monitor
Resource Monitor tool in Windows 10 provides real-time information about the CPU, hard disk, network and memory usage. These real-time feeds of data help you know everything about the apps that consume unnecessary memory.
1. Press Windows Key + X; choose Search option.
2. In the Search Box, type Services.msc
3. Open it from the Search Results.
4. You have a new Resource Monitor window on your screen.
5. Click the CPU tab and then expand four categories, viz. Processes, Services, Associated Handles and Associated Modules.
6. Stop all higher CPU consuming processes. To do so, right click a process; choose End process.
7. Stop all higher CPU consuming services. To do so, right click a service; choose Stop service.
8. Exit the window.
Disable Drive Indexing
Turning off the Windows Search service is another simple way to prevent higher CPU usage in Windows 10. Though drive indexing makes your searches go faster, it adversely affects overall computer speed as it tracks file changes in background. Customize the indexing options as follows:
1. Press Windows Key + R simultaneously.
2. Type the following command; press ENTER:
- rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL srchadmin.dll
3. You have a new dialog on your screen called Indexing Options.
4. Click the Modify button, and then Show all locations in subsequent dialog.
5. Uncheck all the partitions, folders and special directories listed under Change selected locations list box.
6. Click OK | Close.
Scan for Adware, Spyware & Virus
Viruses create multiple Executable Files (EXE), multiple processes that use up system resources for downloading malicious files, scripts from unauthorized sources. Update virus definitions, full scan all drives of your hard disk.
Change Heavy-Weight Antivirus
Heavy-weight antiviruses use a lot of system resources. Some light-weight antiviruses too perform better. Temporarily uninstall your antivirus, download a light-weight antivirus.
Add More Memory
Adding more RAM is essential when your computer runs low on memory. It’ll help your PC store large chunk of data in the computer memory. Prevent your CPU being maxed out by normal or light weight applications.