Windows Update process may abrupt followed by error 80072ee2. The error indicates problem downloading and installing updates due to one or more reasons outlined in this tutorial.
One-Click Troubleshooter (Highly Recommended)
You’re just 2 steps away from fixing this problem…
Estimated download time: 10-15 Seconds
Alternative manual troubleshooting steps are given below:
Try Again at a Later Time
Microsoft servers might be busy and temporarily down due to a number of requests. Exit the Windows Update process, wait for couple of hours and then start it at a later time.
Add a Firewall Exception
Windows Update service may be encountering problems due to Windows Firewall protection. Add an exception to Windows Update and try attempting to download-install new updates.
1. In the Search Box, type “Allow an app through Windows Firewall” and open that.
2. Click Change Settings button, and then Allow another app | Browse.
3. Locate following Executable File:
4. Click Add | OK.
Troubleshoot Windows Update
Windows 10 comes with a diagnostic tool to troubleshoot problems that may prevent Windows updates download and installation. Here are the steps to do so:
1. In the Search box, type “Troubleshooting” and open that.
2. Click “View all” link on left side of the screen.
3. Click “Windows Update” in the new list.
4. This opens up a new wizard. Click “Advanced” link, and then “Run as administrator”.
5. Click Next, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Empty Software Distribution Contents
A folder named SoftwareDistribution contains downloaded Windows updates. Clear the folder contents using File Explorer.
1. Boot into Safe Mode by opening up System Configuration utility using “MSCONFIG” command in Search Box; and then selecting Safe Boot option, and clicking OK..
2. Click File Explorer icon on Taskbar.
3. Open following path:
4. Delete all files and sub folders from the Download sub folder.
5. Run Command Prompt as administrator by pressing Windows Key + X; choosing the appropriate option.
6. Execute following command:
7. Press ENTER.
Terminate and Restart Concerning Service
Windows 10 error 80072ee2 occurs due to problems with the execution of Windows Update service. Terminate and restart the service using below command in the Command Prompt dialog box:
- net stop wuauserv
- net start wuauserv
Delete Corrupt Registry Keys
It was found on some systems experiencing 80072ee2 error that the WUServer and WUStatusServer strings contained incorrect data. Delete them as follows:
1. Open up Registry Editor. To do so, press Windows Key + R; type “RegEdit” and click OK.
2. Locate following sub key in left side panel:
3. Delete the following strings:
4. Exit out of the screen.