This error may occur during different intervals. Some users reported it while accessing shared files and folders, while others faced while using the Virtual Box feature, email client application.
Cannot enable shared access.
Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error
One-Click Troubleshooter (Highly Recommended)
You’re just 2 steps away from fixing this problem…
Estimated download time: 10-15 Seconds
Alternative manual troubleshooting steps are given below:
Turn Off Script Blocking
Turning off script blocking in Norton Antivirus has its own disadvantages. It can make your laptop/ computer vulnerable to malicious attacks. If turning off script blocking doesn’t help, re-enable it again.
For Norton Antivirus:
- Open up the main user interface; and then click Options icon | Norton Antivirus.
- Click Script Blocking.
- Uncheck the checkbox labelled “Enable script blocking (recommended)”.
- To save your changes, click OK.
Change Virtual Box Registry Settings
If you’re encountering problem using Virtual Box, follow these instructions:
1. Fire up the Registry. (Use Run > RegEdit command)
2. Expand the following sub key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppControlFlags\Layers
3. Did you find a string key named “C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe”. This string should contain a value such as “DISABLEUSERCALLBACKEXCEPTION”
4. Delete that string, exit the utility and restart Windows.
Change Token Filter Settings
The numeric value in your Token filter setting has been incorrectly changed. Restore the default value and then try again.
1. In the Registry Editor open following sub key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | System
2. Now you may find a DWORD or QWORD (64 Bit) named “LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy” for Windows 32 bit and 64 bit types respectively.
3. Double click it, replace its value with “1” and then press ENTER.
4. Exit; restart your machine.
Turn Off New Email Notify
0x80004005 occurs in Outlook due to problems with the functioning of New Email Notify feature. Turn this feature off as follows:
- Open Outlook; go to Options dialog from the Tools menu.
- In the Options dialog, click Preferences tab.
- Click E-mail Options.
- Uncheck the box labeled “Display a notification message when new mail arrives”, and then click OK.
Delete SoftwareDistribution Downloads
The contents downloaded as software distribution files have been corrupted. First, stop the Windows Update service without which you cannot empty those folder contents. Empty the folder, and restart the service again.
- Open the Services tool. (Use Run > services.msc)
- Terminate the “Windows Update” service. (Scroll down > Right click Windows Update > Stop)
- Minimize the window; open File Explorer.
- Open following directory:
- Delete everything inside the “Download” folder.
- Restore the Services window, re-start the Windows Update service again. (Right click > Start)
- Exit out of the screen and reboot your PC.