As we move forward from initial Windows 10 launch hype, we experience several performance issues and technical glitches with our PCs. Several users posted threads complaining low FPS, slow and sluggish gaming performance on various Internet forums. If your Windows 10 has slowed to a crawl, don’t worry. We’re here to guide you with simple tips and tricks that indeed work.
Schedule Regular Drive Optimization
A fragmented file takes longer time which is why your Windows 10 runs too slow. Our hard drives tend to become fragmented as we constantly write new files, delete and move existing ones. Drive Optimization, also known as Defragmentation, involves picking up fragmented pieces of data spread across several sectors of hard drive and putting them back together. Here are steps to defrag drives in Windows 10:
1. In the Search Box on Taskbar; type Optimize. Open Defragment and Optimize Drives from the Search Results.
2. Choose the drives you intend to defrag. Recommended: Select all drives except removable storage.
3. Click Optimize All button to start the drive optimization task.
Accelerate Gaming Performance
Download Reginout and click Services Optimizer tab > Gaming Computer (Extreme Performance) > Apply to set the most recommended settings for optimum gaming performance. Your job will be done automatically and instantly.
Adjust Windows Settings for Best Performance
Windows 10 ships with visual effects, Aero experience and several other interesting features. Adjusting Windows settings for best performance slightly bumps performance up by turning off all unwanted features.
1. Right click This PC desktop icon; choose Properties.
2. In the new dialog that opens, click Advanced system settings link.
3. This opens up System Properties dialog box. Click Advanced tab > Settings (Performance) > Visual Effects tab.
4. Choose the option named Adjust for best performance, and then click OK twice.
Clean Out Junk
Over times, your computer gets filled with several GBs of temporary files. Temporary files are of various types, viz. setup extracted contents, downloaded Internet files, browser cache contents and many more. You don’t need these files anymore; it is safe to delete them.
- Type Disk CleanUp in the Search Box and open that tool.
- Select a partition you intend to clean, click OK.
- Wait till the disk analyzing process completes. After successful completion, check-up all check boxes and then start deletion process.
Disable Indexing your Drives
Drive Indexing is a constant and on-going process of creating references to files stored on our hard drives. It indexes your files in an attempt to improve your search experience. You can gradually improve system performance by simply turning off this process.
- Open Indexing Options from the Search Box and then click Modify button.
- Uncheck all the drives displayed in list box, and then click OK | Close.
Disable Unwanted Windows Features
Windows 10 comes with tons of new features that can be disabled later. It’s entirely up to you whether to keep these features or not. The process of disabling unwanted Windows features is given below:
1. Press Windows Key + X; select Control Panel option.
2. This opens up a new window. Click Programs icon > Turn Windows Features On or Off (Under Programs and Features).
3. In the new dialog that opens, simply uncheck the features you intend like to disable; click OK.