This error occurs while playing computer games. The issue isn’t confined to a specific game. It occurs randomly while playing different games such as Steam-based DOTA 2, Far Cry 3, WarThunder and World of Tanks.
Temporarily Disable Antivirus
ESET NOD32 Antivirus may be the likely cause. It appears to cause conflicts with system files. Use its system tray icon to temporarily disable it and check if the problem still persists.
Perform Windows Defender Offline
Windows Defender Offline removes malicious files based on its virus definitions, i.e. encyclopedia of potential dangerous files. Before you start the scan, make sure the virus definitions are up-to-date. The program will walk you through the entire process.
For Windows 10:
1. Visit Microsoft Download Center.
2. Type “Windows Defender Offline” in the Search Box on upper right.
3. Click it from the Search Results
4. Start the download for your particular system type (32/ 64 bit).
Use the Troubleshooting feature in Windows Setup to automatically repair DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION problem. Here’s how to sort out the issue:
1. Insert Windows installation media, reboot your computer.
2. Press F2 or Delete repeatedly until BIOS Setup appears.
3. To boot your computer using the Windows installation media, set the First Boot Device as your DVD Drive; Second Boot Device as your Hard Disk Drive.
4. Save the changes, exit.
5. After rebooting your computer shall display a message “Press any key to boot from CD/ DVD . . .” Press ENTER or Space Bar.
6. Click “Repair your computer” link.
7. Go to Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Automatic Repair.
Upgrade your Machine
The old drivers tend to cause compatibility issue with your machine, thereby DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error occurs. Use the Device Manager tool to update driver software.
For Windows 10/ 8.1/ 8:
1. Press Windows Key + X; choose Device Manager.
2. Expand the top node in left panel.
3. Expand “Display Adapters” node.
4. Right click the graphics driver, choose “Update driver software”.
5. In the new wizard that opens, choose “Search automatically for updated driver software”. Follow the on-screen instructions.
6. Follow the same procedure for your Audio Inputs and Outputs (Audio Driver).
Alternatively, you can obtain driver updates from the corresponding publisher’s website.
For Windows 7/ Vista:
1. Click Start, type “Device Manager”
2. Open it from Search Results, or simply press ENTER.
Control GPU Temperature
Do you use multiple Graphics Processing Unit (GPUs)? Perform a stability test to log GPU temperature, or simply use a free tool that shows real-time information and alerts when the CPU and GPU temperature exceeds the maximum level. Example: Free RealTemp
Change Driver Verifier Manager Settings
This small toolkit helps users deal with device driver issues that cause various PC problems, including Windows 10 error Rid of DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. Let’s learn how to control unpredictable behavior of Non-Microsoft drivers.
For Windows 10:
1. In the Search Box of your Start Screen, type “Verifier” and press ENTER.
2. You have Driver Verifier Manager on your screen.
3. In Page # 1 of the wizard, choose “Create custom settings (for code developers)” option, click Next.
4. In Page # 2, check-up every check except “Low resource simulation”, click Next.
5. In Page # 3, choose “Select driver names from a list”, click Next.
6. Wait till the drivers list is retrieved.
7. In Page # 4, click the “Provider” column head to sort all drivers by the list of providers.
8. Check-up all Non-Microsoft drivers, click Finish button.
9. Reboot your system for the changes to take effects.
For Earlier Versions of Windows:
The steps will remain same except in Step # 4 above, you’ll have to choose an option named “Select individual settings from full list”, click Next to get the corresponding list box.