Train Simulator 2016 is an amazing game where you can run a variety of locomotives – both electric locomotives and steam locomotives using a steam engine, on a variety of routes and scenarios. The game comes with different pre-installed assets which gets corrupted and fail the game from loading correctly.
Repair Routes & Scenarios
Your routes and scenario files are likely to be corrupted. Trains Simulator Utilities, a separate tool, enables users to repair routes and scenarios without long tedious manual process.
1. Exit Train Simulator 2016. Make sure that the game process is terminated. To do so, fire up the Task Manager using Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Click More Details icon at the bottom left side. Check for railworks.exe process under the Processes tab in the newly opened Task Manager window. Click the End Task button.
2. Double click This PC icon on your Desktop.
3. Open the game installation location. The default location is given below, however the actual location may vary depending on the folder selected during the installation wizard.
- C:\Program Files\Train Simulator 2016\
4. Right click the Utilities.exe file and choose Run as administrator.
5. You have Train Simulator Utilities window on your screen.
6. Click the Packager tab.
7. Click Refresh button to retrieve the list. Wait till it is being loaded.
8. Check-up Routes, Assets, Manuals and other boxes.
9. Click the Add selected files to package button (right arrow icon).
10. The process may take some time. Wait till is completed.
11. Routes, Assets and Manuals will now be moved to the right side list box.
12. Check-up all these items again, click the Remove Selected Files from Package button (left arrow icon).
13. Again, it’ll take some time to restored these items to their original location. Your game should now run normally.
Reinstall Train Simulator from Scratch
Use the Steam client to uninstall Train Simulator 2016, remove left-over installation folders and then install it again.
1. Double click the Steam icon on your Desktop.
2. Go to the Games Library.
3. Right click the Train Simulator 2016, choose Properties.
4. Click the Local Files tab.
5. Click the Uninstall button.
6. Your games will be removed. Restart the computer since we cannot remove left-over files while they are being used.
7. Go to the following directory:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common
8. Delete the Railworks sub folder.
9. Use the Steam client to reinstall Train Simulator 2016 again.
Restore Player Profile Defaults
Your player profile settings are stored in a separate file called PlayerProfiles.bin. Rename the file and re-launch the game.
1. Go to the Steam installation directory.
2. Open the following folder:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\RailWorks\Content\
3. Right click PlayerProfiles.bin and select Rename.
4. Rename it as PlayerProfiles.bin.old
5. The next time you run Train Simulator, it will be loaded with default profile settings.
Use Windowed Mode
If you’re running the game into full screen, switch to the windowed mode. Change the game options as shown below:
1. Open Train Simulator 2016.
2. Click the Settings icon on top right corner.
3. Click the Graphics tab in the Settings dialog.
4. Set the Windowed Mode option into the Full Screen drop down box.
5. Click the Save button.
Restore Default Video Settings
Train Simulator may not load when video settings are not properly configured. Restore the default settings.
1. Refer Steps # 1-2 under Use Windowed Mode section.
2. Click the Default button under Graphics tab.