Windows Update process stucks with an error:
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem: Error Code 0x80072f78
One-Click Troubleshooter (Highly Recommended)
You’re just 2 steps away from fixing this problem…
Estimated download time: 10-15 Seconds
Alternative manual troubleshooting steps are given below:
Delete Software Distribution Downloads
This folder is managed by Windows Update client to store temporary files required during the update process. The files are typically of no use once the update process is successfully finished and you’ve rebooted the computer. Windows 10 Update Error 0x80072f78 appears due to corruption of these files.
1. In the Search Box, type “services.msc”
2. Open that from Search Results.
3. Scroll down; right click “Windows Update” service and choose “Stop” option.
4. Open File Explorer through its Taskbar icon.
5. Open following location:
6. Delete all files, sub folders from the location.
Use Update Troubleshooter Wizard
1. Press Windows Key + X; choose Control Panel.
2. Type “Troubleshooting” in Search Box of the Control Panel window.
3. Open that from Search Results.
4. Click System and Security icon.
5. Click Windows Update icon.
6. Re-run the wizard as administrator. Such an option appears after clicking the “Advanced” link.
7. Click Next, let the OS detect problems with Windows Update components.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Perform System File Corruption Check
1. Exit all open applications.
2. Press Windows Key + X; choose “Command Prompt (Admin)”
3. Execute following command:
- SFC /SCANNOW
4. The process may take several minutes.
Get a Strong Wi-Fi Signal
Ensure steady Internet connection. You might have problems with the Wi-Fi signals if you’re living in a wide house with a complicated layout. Just ensure that the Wi-Fi signal quality doesn’t hamper as it may hamper Windows Update downloading process and subsequently display 0x80072f78 error.
Here are some tricks that should work:
Upgrade the Router
If you’ve been using the same router for a while, it’s time to obtain an update from Internet Service Provider. Don’t worry; it’s free of charge. You won’t have to pay a single penny. After all, it is the ISP whose responsibility is to provide supporting equipment when you’re monthly or annually paying for a particular data pack.
Reposition the Router
Typically, a router beam signal in all directions at once, but still it’s not perfect. There are many objects like walls, metal, heavy furniture, that can deteriorate the signal quality.
A firmware update is most recommended as it makes a significant improvement in the router’s capacity. You can obtain it after logging-in to your Router page > Update tab.
Do not close your browser until the update download process is finished.